Monday, September 27, 2010

Tale of a Work in Progress

As an artist (and now a blogger!) I've always enjoyed involving others in the process of creating a painting. Of course, this is MY process, and it's what works for me. Although I value and appreciate your feedback, my purpose here is not to show anyone the right or wrong way...just MY way!

My muse for this piece is the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, the sleek, sexy, super-EXPENSIVE Super Sport Model of the Bugatti Veyron. The $2.4 million beauty is powered by the same 8.0-liter W16 quad-turbocharged engine, tuned to deliver a total of 1200 HP with a top speed of 264 mph. That ought to get you motorheads salivating... 

These two images are the painting in the very early stages to give you an idea how the process unfolds.

.

In the image above, you can see the body of the car is already sketched in the foreground. The background is starting to take shape as I gave the sea and sky a grey-blue wash. I want the viewer to feel the excitement and power of this awesome super car so I sketched in a single bolt of lightning, pointing toward the Bugatti. Further development takes shape as....




...in this photo you see I've fruther developed the background.. I've added trees on the right side to provide visual interest and also to balance the background. You can also see the negative space of the shape of the car as the background meets the subject. Additionally, the landscape continues to develop as it defines the edge of the pavement.

The tale continues! Stay tuned! As always, find my website and my portfolio at: Marc Jones Studios

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marc! Love the blog you're doing about your progress on this new painting!

    I'm also an automotive artist and am doing a similar series of blogs related to commissioning artwork. I posted this blog of your on my twitter page this morning at http://twitter.com/#!/ricksart

    ReplyDelete